A Coaching Model By Donna Burdge, Executive Coach, UNITED STATES
The THRIVE Approach
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader~ John Quincy Adams
At Burgeoning Vine, we believe that leadership requires more than one’s own ability to influence and guide followers; leaders must grow, thrive, and prosper for their own professional success but also for those that they lead.
Coaching is no longer a specialty; you cannot be a good manager without being a good coach…you need to go beyond the ‘traditional notion of managing that focuses on controlling, supervising evaluating, and rewarding/punishing’ to create a climate of communication, respect, feedback, and trust. All through coaching.1
BV coaches are committed to delivering discreet, practical coaching to individual executives and leadership teams. Your BV coach will help you to see things that you and your team don’t see, such as behavioral blind spots, self-limiting strategies, and faulty assumptions. Our approach involves developing a deep understanding of you in order to optimize and realize your untapped potential that has not been fully realized.
Our session will include knowing your life stories, underlying style, and deeply held values. This knowledge will give way to thinking about your professional life and ambitions in a new, different, and enlightened way.
The late, great leadership coach, Bill Campbell once said
your title makes you a manager. Your people make you a leader2
Our coaches will help our clients think about how they are going to make their teams better – and that process begins with understanding what they believe is holding them back from being stellar people and leaders.
You can expect every BV coaching experience to be:
- Accountable: you make all the final decisions and are accountable for them
- Customized: your program is based on what it is you are looking to achieve
- FutureFocused: looking at your goals and developing a plan to achieve them
- PerformanceFocused: setting measurable success metrics that we track against
You can expect outcomes from BV coaching to include the following:
- Discovery and transforming self-limiting strategies and assumptions
- Old ways of thinking and communicating are replaced by causative and empowering language
- Measurable goals and a roadmap for their fulfillment are created
We will apply our THRIVE Model as our call to action. Applying this 6-step model to the coaching session will help our client visualize the client’s desired state.
By exploring how THRIVE shows up in our client’s life, we enable a state of self-awareness awakening and discover the powers within to become a phenomenal, inspirational leader – one who possesses clarity, visionare empathetic and accountability.
T – Trust Yourself & Trust the Process
- What are you telling yourself about yourself?
- Are those words true?
H – How to Close the Gap
- Where are you now and where do you want to be -what skills, capabilities, qualities, knowledge, etc., will be needed?
- What are you tolerating?
- What do you need to let go of?
R – Recognize the Need for Change
- What is holding you back?
- If not now, when?
- What would you do if you weren’t afraid?
I – Investigate Options (explore and brainstorm)
- What makes you feel alive?
- What would you like in your life right now?
V – Verbalize Current State
- What is your superpower?
- What is the story you tell yourself about yourself? Is it true?
- What needs to be resolved in order to reach the desired goal?
E – Explore Desired State
- What would your life be like if you could make this change?
- What would have to fall away for you to embrace the new way of being/thinking/feeling?
BV coaches are certified trained analysts authorized to administer behavioral and cognitive assessment tools including The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), The Predictive Index, DISC, and Thomas International (PPA & GIA). Depending on our client’s preference the appropriate assessment tool can be utilized to gain further insights into behavioral preference and cognitive measuring mental capacity and problem-solving.
Our coaches hold Bachelor’s degrees in psychology and in business and Master’s degrees in Human Resource Management. With over 30 years of people management at all levels and in various sectors including private, public, for-profit, non for profit, and private equity we are uniquely able to meet our clients where “they” are.
BV clients are most often leaders of teams, CEOs, managing directors, vice presidents, and executives of all kinds. We work with both the individual and in most cases their teams to coach them to become extraordinary – cohesive, inclusive, and communicative. Through our coaching model, we are able to help our clients realize that the answers are themselves bursting to be revealed, channeled, and realized.
Why fit in when you were born to stand out? ~ Dr. Seuss
Steven Graham, John Wedman, and Barbara Garvin-Kester, “Manager Coaching Skills: What Makes a Good Coach,” Performance Improvement Quarterly 7, no. 2 (1994): 81-94
Eric Schmidt, Jonathan Rosenberg, and Alan Eagle, Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley’s Bill Campbell (New York, HarperCollins Publishing,2019): 35