This policy is applicable to all employees in ABC Ltd. irrespective of the employee’s grade, or whether the post is full-time, part-time or for a fixed term.
The implementation of this policy will begin through a pilot launch in Core Services.
VI. Mentoring & Coaching Process
Step 1: Application for Mentoring and Coaching
- This procedure must be communicated to staff by Managers at every level
- Applications should be made by submitting a completed application form to the Line Manager and copied to the EVP of the requesting Business Unit and Vice President of Human Resources. Applications will be considered as part of the Performance Appraisal Process.(see HR on portal for application blank)
- Authorization should be granted at the discretion of the Line Manager ensuring that the mentoring or coaching partnership is in line with BU’s objectives and with the individual professional and personal development.
- Associated cost should be approved to the BU’s EVP with supporting document copied to Finance for payment.
- Leave for participating should be granted once final approval for coaching is granted. (Leave days must be applied for on the Company’s Vacation Tracking system).
Step 2: Mentoring & Coaching Agreement/ Plan
The client meets with the selected mentor/ coach and does an informal assessment. This may consist of questions & answers, discussions and observation. Assessment data will be kept confidential between client and mentor/ coach.
The mentor/ coach and mentee/ coachee will then work together to create a developmental plan; set of objectives and goals; milestones; measures of success; details on duration of mentoring/ coaching; details of the relationship; and establish boundaries between confidentiality and feedback. These details become the Mentoring/ Coaching Agreement and it is signed by the Mentee/ Coachee and the Mentor/ Coach.
Step 3: Assessments
This will be conducted halfway into the contract to track progress (usually 3 months for coaching and 6 months for mentoring).
At the end of the mentoring/ coaching period (usually 6 months for coaching & 12 months for mentoring) the mentee/ coachee will fill out the final assessment form. Additionally, there is an assessment form for the supervisor to fill out.
This will be conducted 6 months after the conclusion of the mentoring/ coaching contract.
IV. Mentor & Coach Database
The Human Resource Department will maintain a database of mentors and coaches and will make the necessary arrangement upon final approval of requests made.
Pilot Coaching & Mentoring Program for Employees
The Pilot Coaching and Mentoring Program was introduced in Core Services for a 3 month period. Feedback was gathered for review at the end of the pilot. Four employees were selected to receive coaching from an in-house Coach. These employees were selected because of poor ratings on their last annual performance review. All fifty-three employees in the department were assigned in-house mentors for one to one and group mentoring. Employees who had significant work experience or were subject matter experts were chosen to be the Mentors. The guidelines in the Coaching & Mentoring Policy were used for this Pilot.