A Coaching Model Created by Joey Ong
(Career Coach, SINGAPORE)
I have call my coaching model 5’C. Its about raising awareness and setting clear and positive goals, in order to do that more effectively, it is important to have a process for making a connection with the client and demonstrate being in the state of caring for the client and also for caring about the process that we are working it.
Key part of the coach job is help the client to Clarify what is it that they are after, clarify the current situation, clarify what is the objective and clarify other various bits that help client to make progress.
Curiosity is a very power motivator for the coach, as when you are curious about the process on what is going on, curious on what is happening, that will really help and it will guide the coach to have a powerful conversation and support them.
Challenging thoughts, challenge the thoughts of the individual and challenge to make progress.
Commitment of the client and commitment of the coach both the process and to the outcome and to the accountability
The whole 5’C help you to ensure, not only can you set clear goal but also to achieve them.
Clarify – part of the role of the coach is raising their awareness, is to help the client to really clarify what is their expectation.
- What do you want to achieve from this coaching session?
- What goal would you like to achieve?
- What are you hoping to achieve?
- What do you want to change ?
- What outcome would be idea?
- What would you like to accomplish?
- What do you really want?
- What result are you trying to achieve?
Caring – Coaches care about the person, care about the progress, care about the outcome identify what they are looking for.
- Introduce ourself to client and form a connection
- Ask for feedback how client feel using 1 bad – 10 good point system
- I realise it might difficult , is there any want to help you be as effective as you can
- Thank you I want you to know I really appreciate you ….
Curious– curious about the process ,if the coach really curious on what’s going, curious what makes the person ticks, Curious about the person belief,behavior,perspective curious what going on what is holding client back ,curiosity will guide the coach to provide a good root from awareness to goal setting.
- What is happening now ?
- What has change ?
- What is working well right now?
Challenge – challenging the client negative thinking, challenge their restriction and assumption to help to unpick what it is getting in their way of the individual. Because if they are clear now about what it is they trying to achieve , why haven’t they been doing it before, what was holding them back and may be actually what they could do which will be even better or greater progress think bigger and to break thru those thing that is holding them back.
- What do you think is stopping you?
- What happen if you did that ?
- What would happen if you did nothing ?
- How could you turn this around
- What do you think was really happening?
- What are your option ?
- If you asked _________, what would they say about you?
Commitment -I as a coach is wholly committed to the well being of the progress of the client. Client and coach should be committed to achieve the outcome and their goal. If your are not committed to the goal you are setting, the likely hood will fail, the client want to make the commitment to achieve their goal. The coach has to provide commitment, provide support to accountability to the client.
- What do you think you need to do next?
- What could be your first step?
- what else can you do?
- What option do you feel ready to act on?
- What one small step will you take now?
- When are you going to start?
- What support do you need to get that done?
- What do you need from me/others to help you achieve this?
- How will you know when you have done it?