A Coaching Model created by Steve Gardner
(Executive Coaching, UNITED STATES)
This model is tuned for executive coaching. Although the steps appear to be linear and discrete, they frequently overlap and are sometimes cyclical.
The client is responsible for determining the session’s content, but the coach drives the process, skillfully steering it in the direction of results that achieve premium performance as defined by the client.
Profound Listening and Powerful Questioning are coach-originated essentials for understanding Desire and achieving Clarity. Perceptive Planning begins a shift toward client-originated essentials. Persevering Commitment and Premium Performance are clearly client responsibilities supported by acknowledgement and accountability from the coach.
Regarding an explanation of “the unique features of your model” requested by ICA, I don’t think any unique features exist. The uniqueness of the model is taking common coaching concepts and creating an original representation, using my own words and graphics.
My Coaching Process
This process combines elements of Dr. Terry Bacon’s Change Model (the Change steps) and Ron Ernst’s RealTime Coaching. It is tuned for executive coaching while being fairly generic. It does not, for instance, assume a presenting problem beyond a desire for growth.
The uniqueness of my coaching rests on the degree to which I bring theory to life.
My coaching process is built on underlying principles of natural behavior:
- VALUES (combined beliefs and commitments) define WANTS.
- What you want and how you judge what you’re getting are based on your values.
- WANTS motivate BEHAVIORS.
- The difference between your wants and what you perceive you’re getting is the motivation for all behavior.
- BEHAVIORS create RESULTS.
- Your behaviors are the attempt to close the gap between your wants and the results you perceive you are currently getting.
- Different RESULTS require CHANGE.
- To achieve different results, you must change either your wants or your behaviors.
Although I have presented this in a liner fashion, each client’s situation and level of awareness will dictate how actual coaching proceeds.