ACTION – And what it does for us
The other side of the needle, on the other hand, when we do find the clarity and courage to act on the choices we select, there are several benefits:
- Our horizons expand, we are able to be and do more
- Clarity about the what next steps we need to make, and take, begin to emerge fear, hopelessness and frustration are replaced by courage, hope and purpose.
- Our momentum towards our goals increases opportunities and avenues that didn't exist before, suddenly open up
- We mobilize ourselves to learn new skills and emerge from a feeling of lacking, to a feeling of abundance
- Life takes on a more positive hue
For this to happen, a shift in consciousness is needed. Once we learn to see and accept the situation, as it is, and recognize the action choices that are present, we can then taken actions that lead to fulfillment.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new. – Socrates
Making this power tool work for you
Reflective Question for self (Introspection and application):
- Why do I keep putting off ‘this’ activity?
- Is there something I fear?
- What do I stand to lose if I do this?
- What do I stand to gain if I do this?
- What out-weighs the other – the gains or the losses?
- Do I REALLY need to do this?
- If I don’t really need to do this, can I seek closure by letting it go?
Reflective Questions for others (Coach’s perspective)
- Why do you give so much importance to ‘This’ task/activity?
- What do you really need to do to begin this task?
- Who do you need to help you with this?
- What steps do you need to take, to ensure you stay on track, after you have begun?
- Five or ten years from now, if you look back, what do you see if you don’t do this task at all?
Moving from Inaction to Action
Some processes that lead to this shift in consciousness and momentum include:
- Analyzing the force field of the situation i.e. identifying those factors that are creating/perpetuating the inaction and passivity and those factors that can help action
- Visioning the possibilities, the potential and the benefits that could come from acting on the choices. This is especially helpful when fear is blocking action
- Being mindful of one’s thoughts and action patterns and noticing repeated themes, issues. If issues are repeating themselves, then this points to certain unresolved conflicts within self. These will now need some attention and maybe action
- To understand better your motivations or values for doing something ask yourself – ‘By doing this, What am I really doing?
- Talking with someone you trust and asking them for reflection, support and feedback
- Preparing affirmations that help you move forward and take action
- Reminding yourself of your vision, goals or values and asking yourself - ‘Why am in this situation’ - ‘ How did I get here’ – ‘What will take me forward?
- Charting out a plan of action and being accountable for taking this forward
With these processes come resilience and clarity. With clarity and resilience, we are able to act on our decisions. We are able to move out of the passivity and inaction – and FINALLY towards A C T I O N !
Do it NOW! Sometimes Later becomes Never – Musakayne