Appendix 1: Interview questionnaire
1. How old are you?
2. Are you ( ) male ( ) female?
3. Where did you grow up?
4. What languages do you speak?
5. Have you lived abroad? How long?
6. How long have you been working for this company?
7. How often have you changed jobs since graduating?
8. In comparison to your parents your way of thinking and behaving is
( ) completely different
( ) mainly different
( ) in general similar
( ) almost or completely identical
The biggest difference is_______________________________________
9. Do you try to avoid conflict? ( ) Yes ( ) No ( ) depending on the situation
10.What is more important to you- individual or collective? ( ) Individual ( ) Collective ( ) equal
11.The Confucian influence on your behavior is ( ) very big ( ) rather big ( ) rather small ( ) almost zero
12.The Western influence on your behavior is ( ) very big ( ) rather big ( ) rather small ( ) almost zero
13.When speaking to your boss/ employee do you try to adapt to their way of thinking? ( ) Yes ( ) No ( ) depending on the situation
14.Which situation in your work environment has been critical/ problematical?
15.How important is hierarchy? Seniority? Specific questions for management?
16.How loyal are your employees? How high is the employee turnover?
17.How do you rate the educational background of the younger generation in comparison to yours?
18.How do you recruit personnel in China´s high competitive market?
19.How can you retain top-grade personnel in China?
20.Are you offering leadership training?
21.Do female leaders act differently?
22.How important is trust?
23.How do your employees perceive you?
24.Modern Chinese values: What is the difference in comparison to the older generation?
25.Can Western leadership styles be adapted to China in your opinion?
26.How would you describe the leadership style in your company?
Appendix 2: Online Survey
1. Are you male or female?
2. What year were you born?
3. How long have you been working in your current position?
4. If you could change your job, would you prefer working for a private Chinese company? a Chinese SOE? a multinational/foreign company? your own business? Other (please specify)
5. What is most important to you? (choose 3 answers)
- Other (please specify)
6. What makes you happy? (choose 3 answers)
- Self development/self fulfillment
- Help others/make contribution
- Other (please specify)
7. What are the characteristics of Generation Y managers (八零后) and Gen X managers (name as many topics as possible)?
8. When you face difficulties in your work environment, whom would you consult? (please rank your answers) definitely not could be N/A definitely yes
- Internet Research
Other (please specify
9. What would a great boss look like? What do you expect from his/your company?
10. Can you name a company that is a role model regarding corporate social responsibility? Why?