Adapting to new experiences
To live in a foreign country is a challenge itself, coming from a different background Hispanic new moms face the lack of extra help. The coach can help the new mom to adapt and change perspectives around getting extra help, finding ways to turn this situation around and empower the new moms to focus on what has to be done without the extra help. The coach will be a support for the mom with the lack of sleep, letting her know that this is just a stage and finding ways to reenergize and find time to rest during the day. The job as a coach is taking the new mom step by step to a rediscovery of herself in this stage.
Becoming a new mom is an amazing and very rewarding experience, which also presents many challenges; most of them new, even to an experienced mom. There are always new things coming up. By talking to a coach, new moms can have a good support system that will allow them to transition in consciousness and acceptance through this stage and have a more fulfilling experience, using every challenge as an opportunity for deep personal growth and transformation in every aspect of their lives.
Appendix A – Survey 1.
- Age: Date:
- Which of the following can you relate to when you were a new mom:
- I don’t have time for myself
- I find it easy to cope with the new baby and my other responsibilities
- I gained a lot of weight while pregnant
- It is/was easy to lose the weight I gained while pregnant
- I slept/am sleeping enough the first months with my baby
- Lack of sleep is a problem for me
- I feel sexy
- I have trouble feeling sexy
- I want to feel sexy
- I’m a stay at home mom
- I’m a working mom
- I’m leaving work to stay at home with my baby
- Leaving work makes me feel good
- Leaving work makes me feel guilty
- Going back to work makes me feel good
- Going back to work makes me feel guilty
- I have to go back to work
- I decided to go back to work
Appendix B – Survey 2.
1. – Is/Was taking care of yourself a challenge when you had your baby?
2. – Did you gain extra weight in your pregnancy?
3. – Is/was it easy to lose the extra weight you gained when pregnant?
4. – How does this event made you feel?
5. – Do you feel you are sleeping enough? Is it an issue for you?
6. – Are you a stay at home mom or a working mom? Was that your decision?Are you ok with it?
7. – Do you feel you need more help?
8. – What are/were the greatest challenges you faced the first months with yourbaby?
Humes, Karen R.; Jones, Nicholas A.; Ramírez, Roberto R. "Overview of Race and Hispanic Origin: 2010" (PDF). U.S. CensusBureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf.
"American FactFinder Help: Hispanic or Latino origin". United States Census Bureau. .
Flegal, K. M., Carroll, M. D., Kit, B.K., & Ogden, C. L. (2012). Prevalence of obesityand trends in the distribution of body mass index among U.S. adults, 1999-2010. Journal of the American Medical Association, 307(5), 491-497.