People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying “no” to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I’m actually as proud of the things we haven’t done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying “no” to 1000 things. Apple Worldwide Developer Conference, 13-16 May 1997.
Your time is limited; so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. Commencement Address, Stanford University, 12 June 2005.
Steve Jobs mantras are Focus with Simplicity. Our time is limited and we need to prioritize our focus. What is focus?
Definition of focus
- a central point, as of attraction, attention, or activity:
The need to prevent a nuclear war became the focus of all diplomatic efforts.
- Physics. a point at which rays of light, heat, or other radiation, meet after being refracted or reflected.
- the focal point of a lens, on which rays converge or from which they deviate.
- the focal length of a lens; the distance from a focal point to a corresponding principal plane.
- the clear and sharply defined condition of an image.
- the position of a viewed object or the adjustment of an optical device necessary to produce a clear image: in focus; out of focus.
- Geometry. (of a conic section) a point having the property that the distances from any point on a curve to it and to a fixed line have a constant ratio for all points on the curve.
- Geology. the point of origin of an earthquake.
- Pathology. the primary center from which a disease develops or in which it localizes.
verb (used with object), focused.
- to bring to a focus or into focus: to focus the lens of a camera.
- to concentrate: to focus one’s thoughts.
verb (used without object), focused, focusing.
- to become focused.
There is only one Focus point for an optical lens to produce a clear image. In focus is to adjust the optical device necessary to produce a clear image. A camera will take a clear picture if it is in focus. Same in our life we must focus our priorities one at the time in order to achieve clarity for our action.
We need to prioritize before we focus. Without prioritization we cannot focus. In our life we play different roles and each have their objectives. We are living in the present moment of 24 hours per day and this is what we have. At 00:00 hour a new day begin. To live in the present moment we need to focus on our 24 hours to the fullness.
Since our time is priceless we must focus on time on our priority.