Copy your rating weights (1-4) from step 1 in the middle column and your ranking order (1-8) of importance from step 2 in the 1st column.
- Compare your status quo rating (step 1) to your ideal ranking (step 2).
- Identify your most important life areas that you believe need attention on a qualitative base (what you feel is most important) not a quantitative base (what your rating and ranking indicates, those are just indicators). So this is the conclusion you come to after evaluating what you are currently living and what you believe it should be.
- Identify the gaps between where you are now (status quo, what you do, rating weight of satisfaction) and where you would like to be (your ideal, ranking order of importance that you believe your life should be like).
- The answer you come up with is your wish list. After evaluation what you are doing and comparing it to what you would like to be doing, you end up with a wish…have not yet materialised it, it is not reality.
Relate the outcome of step 3 to the Circle of Influence
CIRCLE OF INFLUENCE
a.)You are now taking your wish list (identified in step 3) and relating it to your life boundaries, resources and realities. You mean to determine how many of the life areas that you are unsatisfied with and believe should be a priority in your life, you can realistically address at this point in time of your life.
We relate our wish list to the four categories of resources available to all people in various quantities and degrees of attainment. Time is a productivity factor, it is not a resource, you cannot increase or decrease or deplete time as you can all the other resources. Thus time is not a resource for it can only be managed and monitored, it cannot controlled as is the case of the four basic resources categories available to us in our personal and professional capacity. Herewith a description of the four categories of resources:
- Financial: Monetary resources either in my possession such as a bank account, investment, etc. or availability such as through a loan or generating income through innovative activities such as business transactions or negotiation for a remuneration package with an employer.
- Physical: All the tangible concepts we use to move forward, to be productive to ensure an outcome, such as stationary right up to computer hard ware and software, buildings, chairs, umbrellas, air conditioners, parking areas, etc. whatever physical object you use or need to accomplish an outcome.
- Human Resource: Your personal make up that consist of your personality make up, character, knowledge, skills, learning aptitude and ability, attitude toward life, physical, mental and spiritual strength, etc. everything that makes you tick as a person in order to move forward, bring about change and achieving an outcome
- Informational: All the knowledge and skills that you possess to be able to cognitively (intellectually) function. Untapped informational resources you may need to research and access in order to gain a better understanding of your status quo, future options, alternatives and understanding of yourself in relation to others, whatever information you need to make whatever decision or complete whatever instruction. Everything you need to be able to make an informed and responsible decision about simple and complex live choices (personally and professionally). From eating plans to career management or changes.
b.)Assign the level of control you exercise over your life area (A, B or C as indicated by the Circle of influence model). Your locus of control will influence this allocation, you then need to evaluate your believe of your level of control against reality such as your available resources. Even if you believe an area is a B factor for instance and you believe you can influence it, but you cannot allocate and or access the necessary resources to do so, you cannot address that area in your life at present, and it becomes a C factor that may in time change to a B as you progress with other areas of your life.
c.)Indicate the resource categories what you have at your disposal / within your grasp / what are realistically attainable in terms of your available resource to be able to address the A and B areas of your life wheel.
List your top three life areas that you can set goals for that are attainable at present and that you believe are the top three areas that you need movement in foremost.
Evaluate these three areas in relation to the influence and impact thereof to determine if you will be achieving the overall outcome you desire.
a.)List your top three areas in the 1st column; this reflects your top of mind areas that you want to give attention to. This is not your goals yet.
b.)Relate it to the WE zone in the 2nd column to see if and what influence it may have on others around you if you tackle your top three areas now. Remember to relate to the impact thereof on your available resources. I.e. if you wish to invest in your Business Career life area by means of a study course, is it attainable, even if you have the financial resources, how will it impact on the physical resources, do you have enough computers in the home for you and your husband or children etc. to be able to meet their goals and responsibility. How will it affect information resource category for instance if you have to invest time to teach your grade one son his school work and still be able to meet your informational resource needs such as have enough time to research your assignments. Visualise it playing out.
c.)Relate it to the WORK zone to evaluate the possible impact it may have on your personal and or professional life to ascertain if the possible outcome is aligned with your expectations. For example if you and your spouse or significant other is experiencing a time of adjustment after a traumatic experience or birth of a baby big life changes you will need to invest time to access informational resources (get to know and understand one another and your needs) through conversation which will impact on your time management, how does that related to your study needs?
d.)Your top three life areas can be relevant or focussed on one or more zones of your personal expression, meaning ME and or WE and or WORK. It is all about what you want to achieve and being aware of the influence and impact of your life choices on yourself (ME), people around you (WE) and circumstance (WORK) and if that is aligned with your expectations. Thus your life areas can purely relate to the ME zone only, such as health, financial and personal development.
Assign the life area/ s you wish to address to the aspect most authentic your life, closets to the ME, WE or WORK aspects of your life. You need to short list three life areas according to your path of evaluation to date that has become evident are the areas that you value most to bring about change in, have resources to allocate to it and have the control to do so. This is just a short list, not your final choice.