A Coaching Power Tool Created by Marie Camille Toulenonde
(Career Transition & Expat Coach, THAILAND)
This tool is used during a career transition coaching, where the coachee wants to reflect on new career orientation, whatever might be the origin of the reflection.
The Career Retrospective tool is used at step 2 of the Career Transition coaching :
Step 1: DEFINE → What is the coaching agreement. What does the coachee want to reach?
Step 2: BUILD → Work on a real professional project
Step 3: TAKE ACTION → Make the project become reality
This tool aims at helping the coachee doing an assessment of his past professional experiences, identifying :
- what he liked doing the most
- what he felt good at
- which key business and behavioural skills he can rely on
This retrospective on the past career experiences will help the coachee to look forward and reinvent himself, focusing on what he/she likes the most, and on what he/she does the best.
How to proceed:
- When completing the grid, think of your most significant professional experiences: the ones you want to bring to the fore
- For each experience, identify the main responsibilities and tasks you had to accomplish. Describe them very concretely, trying to use action verbs
- Try to evaluate your level of interest for each mission and/or task you were responsible for
- When thinking of your level of performance on each task, try to ask yourself: « did I feel at ease while doing it? », « How was I perceived by the others while doing it? » (manager, peers, employees, others...)?
- Which business and behavioural key competencies these experiences allowed me to develop and demonstrate?