A Coaching Power Tool Created by Julia Gazizova
(Life Coach, UNITED STATES)
When stressed, what emotion do you experience? How does your body react to it?
While I am experiencing stress oftentimes feels like a heavyweight on my shoulders pressing down or squeezing feeling in my body. Not a comfortable place to be.
We all deal with difficult situations in different ways. However, there are some similarities in approaching stress.
When approached with a difficult situation we can worsen it by laser focusing on the problem becoming blind to the solutions and other options.
My recent learning is expansion strategy and here is how it works;
- Ask yourself if the threat is real; oftentimes our imagination is triggered and we freeze in fear and discomfort ( fight or flight response psychologytools.com)
- What can I do to change this situation?
- How can I look at this differently?
- What vision do I need to expand to see the different views?
During the year 2020, a lot has happened and one of the situations I found myself in is being in an unhealthy and toxic work environment. My boss of 5 years left the company and I had to onboard her tightly wired replacement. I quickly learned that according to this person I could not do anything right despite my previous accolades and promotions.
I have tried all tactics while assessing this situation. In the end, I knew I could not win this battle and I had no intentions of fighting…
I followed my stress approach model and assessed the situation;
- Yes, the threat was real L even several colleagues approached me and commented how can I work under such constant hovering, distraction, and disrespect. I knew it was not my imagination.
- I have tried to work harder and tried to speak to management in my company. That resulted in no change.
- After that, I asked myself what would I like to achieve here? What my ideal work environment would look like? Whom would I like to work for?
- I chose to look at this as an opportunity for growth and expansion.
I interviewed with a headhunting firm, found a better job with an excellent team and healthy life-work balance. Oh, did I mention that also got a significant pay increase while working a flexible schedule? Treated me to a better car and upgraded my living space.
As one wise man said; If your life hands you lemons – make lemonade