A Coaching Power Tool created by Benedicte Rodier
(Life Balance Coach, FRANCE)
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep in balance you need to keep moving. Albert Einstein
The aim of this power tool is for you to get clarity around what supports or what impedes your balance.
We have all experienced, on one hand, living in an imbalanced life, where:
- our life pace is hectic;
- our attention and our love to the people we cherish the most are not of the best quality,
- it seems that the world is against us finding a balanced life,
- we need to handle many competing priorities at once,
- everything seems to be urgent or seems to depend upon us,
- we do not have one minute to ourselves,
- our stress level is so high that we do not even recognize our own behavior,
- our energy level is low,
- it seems that we are on autopilot rather than taking responsibility for our own life
- and, finally, where it seems there are no solutions or way out of this imbalance.
On the other hand, we also have experienced living in a serene world:
- enjoying deeply every moment of our life,
- enjoying dearly the company of our loved ones,
- experiencing the feeling of being refreshed, happy, light and fulfilled,
- where we fill in harmony with your environment,
- where we feel we really belong here, we are authentic,
- where we are fully living our life rather than seeing it pass in front of our eyes,
- where we have hopes, plans,
- where we are looking at our future with a beautiful smile and a positive mindset,
- where our energy is high, positive, guiding us to experiencing another moment like this.
Life is complex and inherently dynamic; it is therefore quite difficult to stay balanced all the time. In fact, we often tend to fall into the vicious circle of imbalance.
Once you know yourself and are aware of what supports you, you can then take responsibility in maintaining your balance and making choices that will support you.
The idea is to move away from the obligation to juggle all responsibilities at the same time; and, instead, to continuously rebalance yourself and to discover what and who can support you in your explorative path to a more balanced life.
Balance = Self-Awareness + Responsibility
Imbalance = Self-Denial + Blame
Knowing yourself well and taking responsibility for your choices are keys to successfully achieving life balance.
Very often we wish to be balanced in our lives but most of the time we end up being imbalanced.
The reason being that we choose self-denial instead of self–awareness, we choose delay over action or we do not set precise goals and we feel overwhelmed (see Figure 1 below).