- How happy am I? How much self-love do I have?
- How much do I trust and appreciate my capacities and achievements?
- What do I feel in company with people (family, job)?
- How much of my true self do I reveal to others?
- What do others perceive of my nature?
- Do others like me because I am the way I am or because the way they want me to be?
- Do I like myself because I am the way I am or because I am the way others want me to be?
The coach supports the client to step into light and to emerge as his authentic self. To arrive there, the coach supports the client on the client’s journey of self-discovery. This journey’s goal is to find the authentic self and to unfold it in full potential.
Since the client is in his hiding place, he does not recognize the causes and the methods he uses to cover what he considers to be weak and imperfect.
After the coach and the client have explored his emotional situation and his perception of himself, they discover the methods he has created to hide. Once the client has realized what he hides and how he hides it, he looks at the causes. This is an important phase in the coaching process, because without knowing the causes the client cannot truly overcome his behavior pattern.
What can be the causes? Underlying beliefs of which the client is unaware, and which limit his potential, might have estranged him from his authentic self. He is not aware of his real desires and values. He has accepted those of others and therefore has to put on masks. He uses masks to present the image others have given to him or he considers best for his desired role. Underlying beliefs make him play different roles, and accordingly make him wear masks.
Another cause might be lack of self-love. He nourishes doubts and fears instead of appreciation and respect. Therefore he is ashamed of himself and what he perceives as his weak performance in life.
There can be multiple reasons for his behavior.
In the coaching process the coach can use different tools, such as role-play, visualization (future self), or the wheel of life.
The client surely needs a lot of acknowledgement, encouragement, and confidence in search of his true self and to be able to emerge into light.
He has achieved this goal when he happily and joyfully lives the full potential innate to his authentic nature.
- What does the client hide?
- What means does he use to hide?
- What are the causes for hiding?
- What motivates and encourages him to step from obscurity into light?
- What makes him sure and proud of himself?
- How much happiness does it bring to him when he emerges as his true self?