A vision can also be termed as “a go to state” and it reminds you of what you are trying to build for the future. It sets a direction for yourself and imagines the future state capturing your inherent passion.
A vision is also often connected to one’s inner values and beliefs. It emanates from a deep sense of confidence & self-belief, which creates a drive for action. In other words, a vision provides a destination to reach to; provides a high level direction but does not provide a detailed route map.
Unlike a dream, a vision is often spoken about, repeated, reinforced to keep it alive and constantly remind oneself of the same. Hence, it is mostly written down and shared widely.
Ultimately, having a vision is about knowing the goals you wish to achieve and willing to make the difficult choices enroute to achieve that goal. Hence, vision is all about “action, action & more action”, which makes it a dynamic state, in one’s mind.
- Has there been a time when you deeply wanted something but never did anything about it except think?
- Has been a secret fantasy that you have held close to your heart for many years and constantly reflect about it even today?
- Are there any unfulfilled dreams that you have over the last many years?
- Have you reflected on why those dreams of yours are still not fulfilled?
How passionately you felt about those dreams?
While you think of all these questions, do also take a moment to think about the following questions:
- What have been your biggest achievements in life so far?
- How propelled were you to achieve these goals?
- How did you plan for these goals and what did you do to accomplish them?
- What were the hurdles that came your way and how did you overcome them? What was your degree of passion towards achieving these goals in your life? How do you feel now when you look back at these achievements?
- Self Reflections:
- As we think about our lives, there are many achievements that we have accomplished and there are many unfulfilled dreams. The key difference between the two is how passionate we felt about them? When it comes to our achievements, we would have had immense determination to accelerate towards them. However, when it comes to a few dreams, they would be a mere desire or a wish. That is what differentiates a dream and a vision.
- is energizing
- is challenging
- creates a sense of aspiration
- drives up the inherent human achievement orientation
- puts a goal out there to go after
- builds momentum and drives action
Coaching Application: Dream Vs. Vision
From a coaching perspective, the role of the coach is to enable to client to move forward from his current state. The client also has the intent to move from the current state to a new or better state in his mind. Now the question is how does the client or coaches know that they are moving from “state A” to say “state B”?