A Coaching Model Created by Tolga Hayali
(Leadership, Career and Life Coach, UNITED STATES)
E – Exploration for Empowerment
P – Perspective for Preparedness
I – Intention for Implementation
C – Commitment to Celebration
Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. – Rumi
Why is coaching important for me?
It the legacy you leave behind and nothing gives me more excitement than the individuals I was able to support to see the transformation in their lives. Any advice, recommendations are great for the ones who need it, but I have seen for the long term the transformation comes with coaching slowly but surely. My niche is Kindergarten through 12th-grade education setting supporting the school Leaders in their journey who have the passion to support their children who they serve in the best way possible. EPIC coaching focuses on the dedicated education Leaders who want to push their comfort zone and tap into their hidden gift to support their teachers to deliver high-quality instruction for our youngster to prepare them for the 21st Century as good, caring, and productive citizens.
E – Exploring(exploring comes with empowering)
At this stage, the client talks about the current and desired stage and anything in between including past experiences, feelings, judgments, challenges, and opportunities. Throughout this stage, there is an assessment of the current realities, client’s beliefs, what, and how important the issue is strengths and passion that can come out through active listening, coaching presence, and direct communication.
Self-Awareness is an awareness of one’s own personality or individuality (Merriam Webster Dictionary,2019). With some powerful tailored questions, the client can become aware of what is in the client’s control and how the actions, thoughts, and feelings can change the response that can produce different desired results rather than the client’s limiting beliefs that held the client back.
- What makes this topic important for you?
- Can you tell me more about it?
- What else?
- What do you want to accomplish by the end of the session?
- What would be different if you achieved this?
- How will you know that you reached your goal?
- What is the meaning of the goal?
- What has contributed to your success so far?
- What is the opportunity here?
- What has been working well right?
- What are some of the challenges or obstacles you feel holding you back?
- How does this fit with your plans/way of life/values?
- Where are you now about your goal?
- On a scale of 1 -10 where are you?
- What progress have you made so far?
- How are you feeling about yourself and the situation?
Outcome: The client will become more aware of themselves including their thought process, how they internalize and their emotion as well as the action or the behavior they are displaying due to the belief system they built. In the meantime, the client will become aware of what it is important for the client, how important it is and additional options and possibilities that can be discovered that can lead to an increase in self-awareness.
P – Perspective (Perspective comes with preparedness)
With the support of the coach, clients can see all perspectives for the ideal outcome and become aware of what makes this so important in their minds. It is all about what and how our perspectives are to the situation or on the issue. Through powerful questions, the client’s way of thinking starts to change which results in seeing and visualizing from negative, limiting, blaming, self-defeating perspectives to positive empowering perspectives that are aligned with the client’s intended outcomes. Having different perspectives on the issue leads to develop a new way of thinking and helps the clients discover their values, motives, and what they really want to achieve as well as increase the possibility to achieve their desired goal by changing their perspective.
- What are the key things you need to do?
- What possible options/ solutions do you see?
- Which one seems the most effective /realistic/ appealing to you?
- What would you advise your best friend in a similar situation?
- What is(are) the obstacle(s) that prevents you from achieving the target?
- How do you feel about your belief?
- Where did it come from?
- What are some of the new opportunities you see now, that was not there before?
- What kind of support will you need that will help you stay on track?
- In a perfect world, how does your success look like?
- What steps might you choose?
- How does this relate to your life purpose?
- What are you learning about yourself?
Outcome: The client will shift his/her perspectives by reframing the narrative. The client will start to feel the emotion and hope tank by seeing the possibilities and opportunities. The client can start to see possible ways to overcome the obstacles brought by his own way of thinking.
I– Intend (Intent comes with the implementation)
During this stage, clients are asked powerful questions for making their own decisions on what options they will act upon and how the chosen options support their goal to achieve the desired outcome. In this phase, the coach also helps the client to discover what support they need in place to accomplish the action steps they planned.
- What choices do you need to make?
- What action will you take?
- How does this action support your goal?
- What resources do you need to achieve your goal?
- What structures will you put in place?
- When will you do that?
- When are you going to start?
- What are your next steps?
- By what date or time do you intend to complete these steps?
- Where do you go from here?
- What might get in the way? What might hold you back?
- What kind of milestones and checks would you like to include in your plan to ensure that you are on track to achieve your target?
Coaching is about creating an action plan that moves you forward, from where you are to where you want to be. James Himm Mitchell
Outcome: Clients will have a plan to reach their goal, the clarity for the new reframed perspective supports them to act upon the options comfortably. The limiting belief is turning into achieving belief with a sense of self-efficacy.
C – Commitment(commitment comes with the celebration)
This stage clarifies how determined the client is to do the work and explores what has to happen to increase that determination. It is the stage where the client promises and holds himself/herself accountable for the new way of looking and approach. During this phase, the client can be tested with the new goal whether it is achievable with the commitment the client displays or not. With targeted questions, the client can hold himself/herself accountable, visualize, and share the path to success with the coach. Having created a trustful relationship and intimacy can be the foundation to build this. This is a time to acknowledge and to celebrate. As the coach, we try to find the clients giftedness and support them to develop those gifts for committing themselves to this transformation and eventually celebrate the success
- What outcome are you taking out from this session?
- On a scale of 1 -10, how committed are you to do it?
- How will you know you have been successful?
- How will you ensure that you do it?
- How will you apply the learning into your life?
- What can you do to keep your level of commitment?
- How committed are you to the new habit?
- How can you support yourself and who else can you get support from?
- What could I do to support you?
- What support system is in place/will you develop that can empower your commitment to execute by the desired time?
- Where are you now compared to the goal of the session?
- What are your key learnings and new insights?
- How are you going to hold yourself accountable?
- What can you do to avoid your commitment to drop?
- What are your main concerns in regards to your commitments?
- Before we close our session, how will you celebrate yourself?
Outcome: The client will leave the session with a plan to execute or act upon it. Because the light has been more in his mind, clients can utilize the tools efficiently for their desired outcome and celebrate themselves for achieving what they were looking for.