A Coaching Model Created by Stephanie Karakantas
(Transformational Coach, UNITED STATES)
Listen to the clear, still voice within—Mishkan t’filah
The seeds of my model have come from my own journeying. Ten years ago when I knew little about coaching, I treated a patient who happened to be a life coach. She shared a bit about her career and something in our conversation resonated with an inner guidance I was receiving about changing aspects of my life. I believe we all have that presence within. A universal connection with our higher selves; some may call this God, others may refer to it as Source of all being, some may say intuition. Whatever we call this energy, it comes from the core of our being–it is always there, and available to inform us at any time in our lives. Its’ presence is known through a gentle nudge or something far less subtle that makes a shift within us to change or delve deeper in a direction. It can awaken us to search for what can be, who we can become and to find the purpose in our lives. For me, it was that messaging from my core being that I trusted and continue to trust along my path in becoming a coach.
This model can be used with anyone who is on the journey of self-discovery and/or life change. It is a model that I have used with clients who are reclaiming their power while coming out of controlling relationships; those at career crossroads or for those who wish to cultivate a fuller relationship with their spiritual, mental and physical health. It is a transformational model, sequential, yet fluid and always informed by one’s inner wisdom and life force energy which permeates all steps along the way.
Core model and Diagram
The light within represents the clients’ inner wisdom and connection to their higher selves. There is a stirring from within which provides the client with the initial momentum to change. The coach then further explores the client’s connection to their intuitive self throughout the process. The coach supports the client to trust their own inner wisdom and bring forth their best selves into the outside world.
In the discovery session, the following questions could include:
- How did you know you wanted to make a change in your life?
- What feeling arise when you contemplate making a change?
- What other times in your life were you guided from within (or any phrase the client uses to describe their inner voice) to make a change? How did you respond?
- If you ignored the pull to make a change how did that feel? (physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually)
- How did it feel to follow your inner guidance? (physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually)
- What do you do to connect with your inner knowing/higher self?
- How do you know you are connected to it?
A coach can offer meditative techniques, mindful activities, journaling throughout the process to allow the client to tune in to their higher selves.
C: Clear Vision:
At this step in the coaching process, the coach works with the client to develop further clarity regarding the goal and to better define a potential path. Some questions could include:
- What yearning has arisen within you?
- What do you feel called to do?
- At your best, what do you see yourself doing?
- If you could do anything, without restrictions, what would it be?
- What matters most at this moment?
- How do you see your life in 5 years?
- What are your dreams?
- What do you believe about making this change?
Coach helps the client explore options; obstacles and opportunities to continue to align with their core energy.
- What value to your life (lives of others) would this change provide?
- How would you manifest your higher self into this world?
- What do you feel will stop you moving towards your goal
- If one thing could change what will that be?
- What are fears may you have about making this change?
- What option will allow you to use your strengths in the most valued way?
- Where is the best place to put your energies right now?
- What beliefs (obstacles) may get in the way of you achieving this?
This step explores the clients’ resourcefulness and any external resources to support the client on their path.
- What about you is unique?
- Who will best support you?
- What can you do to build momentum?
- What about you allows you to take this step?
- What do you need now to move forward?
- What do you need to do trust yourself more?
- What else do you need?
- What have you done in the past if you got stuck?
- What does this say about who you are?
- What keeps you going?
This step encompasses the actions that lead to the inward signs of change (evolving) and/or outward signs of change (embarking), It explores ways to continue the journey in the direction the client wishes to go.
- What about this choice speaks to your higher self?
- What does it feel like to take this step towards your vision?
- What could you do make more meaning from this action?
- What adjustments, if any, need to be made?
- What unexpected outcomes did you experience?
- What do you need to do to sustain your success?
- What are your next steps?
Brief Case Study
My client, P, had been in an unhappy relationship for several years. She was successful in her profession, had a circle of friends and most importantly according to her, an inkling that she would be better off living on her own. During our initial conversation she shared “I was sitting on the porch having coffee one morning and I literally heard a voice in my head tell me that my life was not supposed to be like this.” We first explored what life could look like for her (living on her own); what beliefs held her back (having internalized at some level what she was told by her partner that she was incapable of doing so); what she could do to change this belief (tune in to her dreams for herself); what her options were (moving in with a friend, saving money for her own place); brainstorming about her resources and ability to move forward with an option (what about herself did she know she could trust; what abilities did she have to make it on her own, who were her allies) and then supporting her taking the action she felt best. By reaching inwards, P. was able to outwardly change the course of her life.
Thank you for reading my model. The journey continues………