A Coaching Model Created by Shelley Breakell
(Alcoholism Recovery Coach, UNITED KINGDOM)
- The TUNE IN coaching model is designed to be a process of discovery for clients suffering from the disease of addiction, notably alcoholism.
- People suffering with addiction may arrive at coaching with no clarity on where they want to be, all they know a lot of the time is that they want to be anywhere else than where they currently are.
- The client may arrive still in active addiction desperate to explore the possibilities of releasing their addiction but having tried every way they can think of on their own therefore feeling disheartened, lacking in hope and motivation. This model is designed to help these clients to come to an acceptance and develop hope for their future.
- There may be another client who has managed to step out of active addiction and is now searching for ways to live contentedly, purposefully, peacefully and joyfully in their new found sobriety but can’t quite figure out what to do and how to do it. They may feel a sense of ‘Now what?’ because although they are sober they cannot find a ‘point’, cannot seem to grasp a reason or a passion. They may be going through an early recovery grieving process, they may be struggling with the very simple questions - How can I live a happy sober life when all I have ever known is to drink? Will anything ever be enjoyable again? How can I cope with stress? How can I even think about going on holiday ever again? I don’t know who I am anymore!
- This model is designed to do just what it is called – TUNE IN – The point is for the clients to go through a process of self-discovery within an atmosphere of complete safety. The client may have spent many years running away from everything including themselves and through this model I would like clients to be able to begin the journey of discovery into who they were, who they are, what they want, how they can get it and come to the point of being able to confidently make decisions about how they want their recovery to look and how they can make it happen.
- The TUNE IN model has a brief synopsis in order to gain a general, simplified view and a more in depth explanation for those who wish to read further.
The basis of our relationship. A total acceptance of who you are, understanding, safety to explore, no judgement, no criticism.
A place of total understanding, helping you to develop your own understanding and self-awareness.
Brainstorming, and exploring all options, resources, options and pathways.
We embrace the vision, the dream, the hope, the reality of recovery and the strengths you have within you.
Risks of relapse, strategies to maintain recovery, addressing fears, obstacles and potential triggers.
Developing self-love and nurture, bringing self-care into every day practice. Coming to a belief and acceptance that you are absolutely worth a life of peace, joy, contentment and happiness.