A Coaching Model Created by Mette Madsen
(Life Coach, DENMARK)
A coach model for coaching in social work
Sunshine makes things grow!
I would like to use my coach model in socialwork and especial in work with ex-prisoners and people addicted to drugs or alkohol.
I have noticed that very often in socialwork, socialworkers are so eager and happy to help the person in front of them, that they just start giving a lot of god advice’s, counseling, and ideas to their client in order to help them get a better and different life.
However what I have also noticed is, that the client who seem to agree on all the good advices and idea from the socialworker, not always are able to take action, and unfortunately no change seems to appear.
Very often we socialworkers simply forgets to ask what THE CLIENT think, dreams and hopes for, and what might holding them back from taking the first step in a new direction, or what keeps them away from the right track, or if they are simply ready for a change!
I really think it would be super beneficial to use coaching as a tool in socialwork. I would like to use coaching to empower people to take responsibility for their own life, and dare to take action on making a change.
To visualize it, I will say these clients needs some good soil, rain, fertilizer and sunshine from the coach and they can sprout, grow and flourish. I have actually seen it.
- How did your situation look liked 3 month ago?
- How does your situation look like right now?
- If we look a your past and present situation, what would you like to achieve from the session today?
- How would you like your situation to look like?
- In which way would you you like to see a changes in your life?
- What kind of dreams and hopes do you have for the future?
- How would it look like for you to take a u-turn?
- What is a u-turn for you?
- Why is it important for you with a u-turn?
- What would it take to make a u-turn?
- What would be the first thing to do for you?
- If you wants an other kind of life what need to change?
- What would you like to see happen in your life now?
- What opportunities do you see right now?
- What do you think you could do today?
- What would support you to make such a change?
- What kind of support do you need in order to reach your goal?
- Which persons would you like to help you?
- What could help you to make this u-turn and start over again?
- Who could help you in order to make this changes?
- What would it take to incorporate this new lifestyle in your life?
- What could hold you back from this new lifestyle?
- What do you need to let go of in order to reach your goal?
- Tell me more about the challenges of this new life?
- What other kind of new action do you need to do right now?
- How much effort are you ready to put in place to get this new life?
- How much energy are you able to offer to get this new life?