A Coaching Model Created by Virginie Margin
(Career Coach, SWITZERLAND)
The model works inside out, meaning decisions and choice come from within. It’s about owning your life and/or expanding the part of you that you own. Choosing our lives and not letting someone else choose that path for us is an essential part of self-development and freedom. By freedom I don’t mean being able to what you want, but leading the life you choose. The bigger the part of our lives we control the freer we are.
While all that looks good on paper, what does it look like in real life? How do we know we are being true ourselves and values? How do we let go of the ought to’s and should’s? How do we increase our freedom through choice?
This model is all about finding out what’s best for YOU, making sure your vision/goal identifies with who are, identifying fear/underlying beliefs which stop you achieving your vision and moving forward. It’s just as much about the journey as the destination.
As a coach I challenge you, responsibilise you all along the process. Hold you accountable for your choices and support you in your self discovery.
You are at the center of the process. Together we plant seeds of the forest watch the trees grow and define the right path for you through the forest.
The model can be linear, but it is created more like a process or like a clock where all the mechanics work together. The client can choose where he wants to jumps and what is important to him at this time. The approach is also holistic, as you begin to gain control on your life everything else falls into place.
The YOU space: Everything stems from you. The client is unique and holds the resources to move forward.
The you space is in the center. It’s the heart of the model. Where you decide to go depends on you, the client. The process is inside out and comes from the client’s core. That’s why the you space is in the middle.
Here the client fully owns the issue, commits to the process. Defines a vision/goal that they own and are in charge of. This is also where the client nurtures himself and creates awareness.
- commit to the coaching process
- clarify the vision/goal
- own the space
- connect with who you are
- determine what part of process belongs to you.
What makes this issue yours? What part of the issue do you own? What do you want? How important is this issue for you?
The CREATIVE space
- think out of the box
- change perspective
There are many ways to explore. I like to think BIG. This is where the brainstorming happens. All options are explored, nothing is barred, even the most unrealistic options. Time for a reality check comes later, but being open to every option can get you to step out of your comfort zone and maybe see options that you had closed doors to before or reconnect with dreams you had given up on.
What would be the ideal outcome?
If you were your best self what would you do? If you did know the answer what would it be?
I also use visualization as a tool.
Deciding is never easy and often people can remain stuck in a no-mans land unable to move forward simply because they cannot make choice. At this point of the process the client commits to action/ a decision. As the coach I hold the client accountable. I also help him determine if this is the right decision through prioritizing and seeing the impact on the outside environment.
- why is this best choice for you just now? How is this aligned with your goal, your vision? How motived are you to make this happen?
- What will be the consequences of this choice?
- How does this feel for you?
- What is your gut telling you?
What’s holding you back?
Here I help the client identify limiting beliefs and change perspectives.
We also work on what the client can do better to move ahead: improve such and such a skill….
- What is holding you back? How is this showing up in your behavior?
- How is this helping you?
- What would be a more empowering perspective?
- What do you need to achieve your goal?
- How can I best help you achieve this?
This does not begin with D but I think letting go is important and is part of all growing and development processes.
- Determining what you are letting go of: this is an important part of the process, it can be useful to think about the alternatives we are giving up on, or the story we let go of.
- How to let go : possible tools: relive difficult times, embrace new behaviours, look towards the future: how will this new behavior better serve you?
How will you get there. There is no coaching without action. Action and tracking your steps will let you know you are growing.
- What’s the first step you can take to achieve your goal?
- In what way is it important?
- What are your criteria to success?
- How will you know when you will have achieved success.