A Coaching Model Created by Lawrence Chi
(Expatriate and Cross Cultural Coach, CANADA)
Are You Getting the Return on Your Expatriates?
- Three times investment in expatriates
- Return under-realized
- 20% return early - difficulties adjusting in host country or job dissatisfaction
- For those who stayed - 30% under-performed
- 25% who completed an international assignment left and joined competitor within one year after repatriation
Definition of an Expatriate
An individual, regardless of their job, role or seniority, who has been displaced from their home culture to a new foreign, host culture.
Effective Expat Management Reaps Benefits …
… a poorly planned assignment has costs
- Loss of key talent
- Long term commercial stagnation
- Replacement costs
- Career jeopardy
- Broken families and relationships
Social competence is key to success
- Most are programmed to work with people who are similar
- How do I feel about people, places and things that are foreign to me?
- Do I feel the need to change?
- Interdependence between your family, personal history, home culture, company culture
The Expat Compass Coaching Service
Client led conversations structured to build self-awareness of the client’s strengths enabling achievement of goals
- Everyone’s situation is unique
- Experience and history shapes mindset and behaviours
The Expat Compass Coaching Model
- Intellectual and technical capability is IQ
- The Expat Compass is founded on a variant of EQ with an appreciation of cross cultural intelligence
- Approach - “Your Strengths, Your Success”
- Appreciative Inquiry
- Focusing on Individual Strengths
The Expat Compass Mission
Your expats benefit from The Expat Compass coaching …
- … if they seek professional and personal success in an international placement or foreign residency…
- … if they are committed to a journey towards sustainable and authentic mindset change.
At Work ….
20 years of Asia-based Senior Executive experience in interviewing, selecting, coaching, and mentoring hundreds of expatriate leaders and managing cross cultural corporate partnerships.
At Work …
Consumer Brand Background
My Coaching Values
- Authentic and sincere
We’ve travelled the same road
- Safe coaching environment
Support and challenge
- An open mind
- High ethical standard as defined by the International Coaching Federation (www.coachfederation.org)
- Welcome to China
- Righting the Ship
- “It wasn’t like this before ….”