A Coaching Model Created by Jaya Bhateja
(Executive Coach, INDIA)
The DESIGN Coaching Model is structured on the belief that in order to achieve any goal or to deal with any issue an individual needs to go through introspection to create self-awareness to determine what our best life looks like, and what will motivate us to achieve it. With the help DESIGN coaching model my client can reach where he is motivated to reach with a meaningful thinking process. Let’s take a closer look at the process.
My coaching practice is space of 4 important elements which are present for in all my sessions irrespective of the model as the model would change from situation to situation. These elements are Acknowledgement, Empowerment, Emotional Connect and Empathy which are the foundation of my coaching practice and they are present at all the stages during my coaching process.
To start any coaching process it is important to define the end. I start my coaching process by defining the goal for the client so that there is purpose defined for the coaching process. Following questions direct the client to define the purpose and goal for the coaching discussion.
- What’s the issue or opportunity that you want to focus on?
- Where would you like to be with that by the end of our time together?
- How would you like me to be today? Supportive or challenging?
Energize to look for possibilities
After exploring the goal & purpose the client is open to various possibilities available to reach the goal. Now is the time to energize the client to go through the possibilities in detail to create an action plan. Following questions can help the client at this stage:
- What’s the current situation?
- What options are available or can be created?
- What have you tried before? What was the effect?
- What are the costs/benefits of each option?
Select action plan
There can be various options to achieve a particular goal and hence it is important to select the appropriate action plan which can help the client to achieve the goal:
- What is the best option for you to reach your goal?
- What are the resources you need to support the option?
Post deciding on the action plan it is important to look for the challenges which can be a roadblock. By Identifying the challenges the client can be better prepared to deal with those challenges.
- What are the obstacles in your way?
- How can you deal with them based on the past experiences?
Gratitude towards action plan
Post identifying the challenges and the action plan it is necessary to pay gratitude to the action plan by committing to it. Paying gratitude means creating an intent to achieve the action plan and to address any beliefs which can come on the way:
- Have you created the intent to follow your action plan?
- Are you committed to your action plan?
- Are there any underlying belief stopping you to proceed on your action plan?
Navigate through action plan
Once all the above steps are taken care it is time to take action by just navigating through the action plan. Believing in the journey planned with the help of previous steps and going effortless with intent and positivity to achieve the goal:
- When can I start implementing the action plan?
- Can there be a reward process to celebrate each milestone?
The DESIGN coaching model is a reflection of my coaching practice and has been used successfully in multiple session however it is imperative to say that there is no single model which fits all the situations and hence the model needs to change as per the client scenario.