A Coaching Model Created by Heather Pierce
(Life Coach, UNITED STATES)
My Approach to Coaching
I work with clients at all levels of the organization. Goals of coaching are varied, but often include:
- Transitioning to a new role
- Dealing with work related challenges, such as interpersonal dynamics
- Developing new job related skills
- Dealing with work related stress, or finding better work-life balance
- Coming up with better strategies for time management
- Identifying and developing the skills needed to advance
My approach to coaching is practical. We will focus on specific behaviors that clients can implement to help them get to the next level.
My approach to coaching is light hearted. Although there may be serious issues and moments, the coaching process should be enjoyable and we will take advantage of time to laugh.
In coaching, the belief is that the client, not the coach, has the answers. I will act as a sounding board to help the client work through his/her own solutions to the problem. By asking questions, providing direction, clarification and acknowledgement, I support my clients in achieving their goals.
The Coaching Process
Coaching usually lasts 3 – 6 months, depending on the frequency of sessions and the Developmental Plan created
Coaching sessions last 1 hour, and are held either weekly or bi-weekly
The initial session is typically held in person, but can be done over the phone. Weekly sessions are typically held over the phone.
All coaching sessions are confidential between the coach and the client. The coach will not share specifics of any coaching conversations with the manager.
The manager is involved at various steps throughout the process, and his/her support is often essential for success.
- An initial meeting is held with the coach, client and manager to agree on general areas for development
- Once developed, the specific Development Plan is shared with the manager for review/discussion. This meeting can take place with or without the coach, depending on the situation.
- If desired, the manager may get periodic status updates
- A meeting with the coach, client and manager is held upon completion of coaching