A Coaching Model Created by Harish Devarajan
(Executive Coach, INDIA)
These are highly successful people who have enormous self-confidence and strong achievement orientation. Many of them also have a blind-spot to their areas for development. Some others may have recognized the scope for development but struggle to make progress for one reason or another.
The model outlined below is a six stage process which helps me to engage in a meaningful fashion with my clients. This Model is called the RAAGAA model of Coaching. In Indian Classical music RAAGAA is a melody mould or an aesthetic entity that has its unique tonal personality that can be recognized by a trained ear. This is the spine around which Indian Classical music is built and developed.
I have deliberately chosen RAAGAA as the name for my Coaching Model since I see a lot of similarities between the Coaching process and Indian Classical Music form. In both these there is great scope for creative adaptation and execution for excellent results albeit within the framework of accepted and pristine standards.
RAAGAA is used as an acronym which represents the six key stages of the Coaching process I adopt in my engagement with my clients.
- Relationship is the foundation on which the entire engagement develops. While this is the first stage it is also an often revisited stage. The Relationship between the Coach and the Coachee needs to be nurtured and strengthened on a continuous basis.
- Assessment is the stage of creating a holistic and deeper level of awareness of the self. This is a starting point for development and a stage that one may revisit to ascertain progress made.
- Aspiration is the stage where the client articulates the vision which motivates him / her to engage and continue in the coaching relationship. Throughout the Coaching journey, one needs to ensure that the aspiration is intact.
- Goal Setting is the stage where one zeroes in on the exact needs and expectations. This is a key stage in the Executive Coaching space.
- Action Planning & Review is the core of the engagement and is the stage where much creativity and appropriate intervention is called for.
- Achievement & Recognition is the moment of reckoning when the aspiration is realized and celebration is called for.
The “RAAGAA” cycle is appropriate for each engagement session as well as the entire coaching journey