A Coaching Model Created by Giulia Villrilli
(Transformational Coach, GERMANY)
My coaching model is related to the coaching partnership or coaching process: from the request to start a coaching relationship to the final goodbye. The model unfolds in three steps and sees the client as an active part in the whole process: the client is the triple jumper.
What made me choose the triple jump?
I chose the triple jump out of two reasons.
The first one is that I personally did athletics for nine years and then became a trainer for children and teenagers. This connects me to sports analogies. Moreover, my business background and my profession as account manager connect me with the concepts of training, performance, potential development and target-oriented behaviours and actions.
The second reason is that the triple jump well illustrates my values and what is behind my coaching model, that is:
- Trust – as essential element to create a space in which the coachee can develop and flourish. Trust will enable the coachee to be him/herself and dare to do the first trial-and-error steps towards the goal
- Forward movement - movement brings power, change, action, energy – the body is included in the illustration as I believe it is an important source of information that will serve the coaching journey
- Training – every session will lead to little steps and actions that then will lead to a transformation
- Begin with the Goal in mind – this is the reason why you are training, sweating, starting over again, and keeping your head up despite all difficulties
- Experiential learning – clarity comes with action. Do, try, try again, fail, learn, try again. The jump will be a masterpiece, if one is willing to try and improve based on the learnings from the first attempts.
Aim of the Model
- To visually illustrate the coaching process and the active role of the client
- To visualize my core message: “how far you will go depends on: the energy you invest, the training you are willing to do, how much you will sharpen your tools, techniques and structures, and how fit and light you are, both physically and psychologically. All the work done in phase #2 will lead to a longer jump and more achievements in life”
How will I use the Model
- To explain to the client how the coaching relationship will develop – the model will be presented in person and/or with a short video
- To propose “packages of 12 sessions” (3 hop + 6 step + 3 jump) that cover the whole process and allow time for practice and sustainable change – I will first present it as a package to some peers and clients and consider putting it on a written presentation/website later on.
Dear Coachee, our coaching partnership will unfold in three steps:
… Hop, Step, Jump!
You are the jumper! And the triple jump goes like this:
- Hop: you are willing to enter the coaching relationship. You are also willing to do your best to make it a valuable journey for yourself and to reach your goals
- Step: the big step is the transformation that will take place during the coaching journey and that will bring you to reach your goals. I believe in incremental and sustainable progress and development. To get to that big step in a sustainable way, many little steps and actions are needed. You have to be willing to invest energy, to do the first step and the following ones and have faith that the training will lead you to your desired outcome
- Jump: the jump is action and responsibility. You will be stronger thanks to the training and, whenever you want, you will jump into your life with new awareness and knowledge
I will be present for you and partner with you to make this an unforgettable sequence. Which is my role in each step?
- Establish trust: the coach sets the foundations, embodies the ethical aspects, listens actively, cares deeply, is fully present
- Develop awareness: the coach is a partner that mirrors behaviors and thoughts, supports, inspires, challenges. The coach has an active role in letting all barriers to surface and all hidden potential to be explored
- Create action: the coach is an active supporter, moves to action and instills courage
This process will serve your development and the realization of your dreams and plans. It provides favourable settings and conditions. However, the protagonist is the jumper. Only the jumper decides how and how far to jump.
Do you have any questions?
…are you willing to start?
Note: only page 2 will be presented to the client and in the video.
- Get at least a dozen of different feedback from both peers and friends that are not familiar with coaching concepts – until end of January; I already sent the model out to 10 friends and colleagues that agreed to provide feedback and I trust the ICA community 🙂
- Continue presenting the model at the beginning of each new coaching relationship (1st presentation was already done) – March/April 2019
- Fine-tuning the model and its explanation – April 2019
- Summarize it and prepare a video of max 1 min and 30” explaining the model – April 2019
- Use the video with potential clients and on my website – tbd, 2019