A Coaching Model created by Charles Kingsley
(Transformational Coaching, UNITED KINGDOM)
My coaching model is based on the belief that the coach and being true to the moment with the client is the model. So, this is not a linear or even circular model but one that embodies the mysteries and wonders that are inherent in the lives of ourselves and our clients. And that by supporting whatever is part of the client’s experiences, we can help clients organically evolve and liberate themselves to fulfill more of their natural instincts. First, here are two simple definitions:
Organic process – A sustained phenomenon or one marked by gradual changes through a series of states; events now in process, evolving
Liberation – To set free, as from oppression, confinement, or foreign control.
This approach suggests that true liberation and meaning is an inherent instinct in all of us. And this sort of development is a life long process of discovery, creation and experimentation. And that when we can free clients up internally, they are more liberated to imagine, to wonder, and to engage more soulfully in the mysteries of life.
A couple qualities help make this approach sing:
- A fundamental belief in the power of liberation to transform clients lives.
This liberation comes from helping the client become more grounded in the core and essence of themselves. From this place they can be both a witness and facilitator to the other facets of themselves and life around them.
- That the shadows in ourselves, like the critic and judge and worrier, all have wisdom to share if we can be accepting and curious with them.
- That transformation is an evolutionary and not revolutionary process.
It is organic and mysterious in the twists and turns it can take. And it takes time to craft and develop.
- The coach’s presence will have more impact than any set process.
There is a sort of Taoist stance of being grounded in mindfulness, curiosity, and openness to the wisdom of mystery in ourselves and our clients which invites the clients to bring this same energy into themselves.
The facets of this approach are organic, we focus on wherever the client is at. This model is based on focusing on what has the most energy in the moment for the client as the most important and rich experiences to be exploring. This means a reflective learning stance where the client will evolve as we create the space for them to reflect on their experience and learn as they go.
Key aspects of this process approach are:
Exploring the dreams and visions and hopes of the client in as much detail as possible.
This can include:
- looking at past successes and identifying what values and dynamics were present that had the client feeling a sense of success
- exploring what brings deeper satisfaction and meaning to the clients life
- looking at dreams and intuitions and serendipities that the client has and unfold these experiences for possible meaning
Engage the client around their inner voices and narratives and energies that arise when considering their deeper desires
- defuse or de enmesh the various key voices and perspectives so the client can come to appreciate the differences within themselves ,their inner mosaic
- ground the client in their core/essence/heart/soul and explore the experience in this place and clarify the values at the heart of the client
- then engage with the critic/doubts/worries/fears voice and discover it's deeper intentions and commitments and values
- create dialogue with Self and Critic so the critic can feel heard and ask for what it needs and the Self can be supportive
Imagine baby steps that the client can take that can move toward creating more (or less) of what they want in their lives
- with goal and visions in mind, have client think about what steps it may take to create progress
- review other support and allies that may be able to assist client towards aspirations
- help client decide on one or two small steps they can experiment with that moves them in direction they want.
Essentially, this model is based in a vision of nurturing the soul in our clients. This means that the coach is grounded in helping the client learn about their own soulfulness and how to cultivate this to fulfil their own deeper instincts in life. We move beyond the clients presenting problems to deeper levels of enchantment in the client and their lives.