Coaching Case Study By Chandran Kundan
(Career Coach, SINGAPORE)
Before the Coaching
I welcome the Client Ronald (Not real name) age 49 with a warm shake hand and introduce myself and get to know the client name and as well to understand how he got to know about the career coaching. Once l knew about it and then l started to share what is coaching is all about and the coaching agreement form to the client. Before preceding to the coaching session the client clarifies some doubt in the coaching agreement form which l had to highlight and explain to the client? After the client understands the agreement with his clear mind and positive thinking ahead for his achievement and goal for his future then the client sign the agreement before commence the coaching. At the same time, I request from the client and get his permission that during the coaching session l will be taking down notes and the client gives permission to proceed.
During the Coaching
The first coaching session, I inform the client to be relax and comfortable. During the coaching session there were 2 way of communication both from the Coach and Client (Ronald) and powerful questions provoking to the client so that l can
- Discover, clarify and align with what the client wants to achieve.
- Encourage client self-discovery
- Provoke client generated solutions and strategies
- Hold client responsible and accountable
The method l apply was W.A.I.T. and stands for “Why Am I Talking? Personally listening deeply about the purpose of the client’s case “Career Transition” and “Development skills or courses” and understanding the client needs. Most of the time open ended question was given to the client so that l can able to find out more detail. I had to clarify and verify the following issue with the client which the client as mention during the coaching session so that l can proceed the coaching session to achieve the client goals and values. Below mention are the problems identify during the coaching session
- Looking for same job as Procurement for past 3 years
- Currently no finance problem and able to sustain to support the family
- Any upgrading or skills opportunity which the client shows interest
- Submitting his Resume and Cover letter for the past 3 years
- Wanted to become career coach where he can help others
- Age is the issue for getting a new job
During the process of coaching session to find out whether is there any blind spots so that l will be able to guide the client realise his blind spots and move on with his objectives, goal and action plan. There were some blind spots which the client did not realise.
- The client did not upgrade courses for self- development
- The client did not attend any of the Job Fair career – No awareness
- The client Resume and Cover letter for past 3 years has not been review or check to get advice by someone
- The client has negative impact of his age
- The client did not understand the Labour Market or demanding job – No awareness
- The client did not attend any seminar
- The client do not have much net-working
I had to highlight to the client about the blind spots to create awareness so that he will be able to understand his personal and professional lives. Along the way, I took step by step to guide the client blind spots and creating awareness and underlying concerns to the client on the above mention stated. Going beyond clients concern, I told the client the action and progression is on him and I told the client through collaboration as Coach, I will supports to achieve these goals. The client was inspires, eager, highly motivated and wanted to know more on how he can go about doing and achieve his action plan and goals. I inform the client that during the coaching session some coaching tools will be used to help him discover his goal, strength and achievement. The tools, l applied along my coaching session was
Wheel of Life
As most of my gesture and body language was observe by the client during the coaching which gives the client confident, sharing, good relationship and trust to talk more. For the upgrading courses which interest the client was shared by me and the client was very keen and motivated and wanted to know further. The guiding principle for the client needs was the following during the coaching sessions.
- Upgrading of relevant courses needed for the career goal and achievement
- Labour market information for understanding of job available and demand
- Strength Finder to identifies internal strengths and understand the top 5 strength which can be align for his Value, Personality, Interest and Behaviour.
- Resume and cover letter preparation
- Wheel of life to identify key areas of my client life or most important issues for me
After the Coaching
The client was reminder that every coaching session we will progress according to his needs. Commitment and dedication must come from you as client and to follow up with the homework he needs to be done and further information, update and resources will be sent to him through email or WhatsApp for his references. As a coach l informs my client that next coaching we will recap the last session and follow up. The next coaching we will be focusing on the job he preferred base on the labour market, job demanding and the upgrading courses he wanted to take for his course of action.
The Challenges as Coach
During the coaching session interruption by the client as he was answering the call
Not discovering underlying Beliefs during the coaching session
Do not have the experience or expertise in the field that the client work
Did not state the house rules for the coaching session
Should create a timeline that clearly states when their mini goals should be achieved
The client want to achieved everything in one goal i.e. want to take all upgrading course for development.
As a coach, I should email the client or message on what we had discuss during the coaching session.