It is the purpose of this paper to show how coaching might fill a need for motivating the “Baby Boomers” during life transition, and inspire them to recreate a new lifestyle.
Positions have been “scaled back” due to the economy, unwanted retirement, empty nesters, and divorce. Aging clients find themselves searching for meaning in all of the chaos. They know they want something more from life. They still feel the need for fulfillment. Life isn’t over after 50.
Creating awareness is one of the most important things the client can to do achieve a new Personal Vision; however, he or she must first be in a place where they want to be aware. He or she must be open to personal change and innovation.
A first step towards creating awareness is realizing what is working in our lives and what is not. We have to be very honest during this process, which can be an emotional journey. Most of the time, deep introspection leads to deep emotion. Emotions range from excitement and joy to sadness and fear. The process should be emotional. If it is not, a new journey of self-awareness is not occurring.
Key Words: Transition, Reinvention, Awareness, and Innovation
Creativity is a powerful transformational force. On a personal level we can face big challenges and lose everything- physically, financially, and emotionally. Realizing there is also a fascinating fact about human creativity and that is, if we can tap into the creative resource within ourselves and cultivate it, we can find a way to bounce back. Resilience is one of the most incredible human capacities.
Coaching those who struggle with separation, displacement, or retirement to tap into their creative thinking to ease into whatever that next phase of reinvention and renewal is for them. Coaching them to cultivate their creativity, to improve their skills so they can have more self-confidence and move forward in their reinvention and a new way of life.
The key to successful reinvention lies in the capacity to use creativity intelligently. No matter what the current situation is, coaching is an invaluable source of information because it focuses on structures that make change and success possible.
A New Beginning
Coaching can address the want to move forward with a business idea, or just wanting to try something new, and allows clients to see an entry way into this very volatile and uncertain market.
Before beginning to coach about reinvention and creating opportunities for clients, the coach might explain the power of mindset. The client must fully believe that change is critical and the only way to succeed. Full commitment and positive thinking is key to persisting through this process. No one is saying it is easy, but the idea that the client has the power to implement change, and make something happen, should be enough to get him or her going.If the client is still unsure about the concept of renewing himself or herself maybe they are not ready. Coaching can help the client find their strengths to use them to drive the reinvention process.
Coaching provides the client with a way to get perspective and gain focus. A coach will work with the client to put each idea into action through its successful completion while keeping an eye on maintaining balance in life. With a coach the client is more motivated and the coach can accelerate the process of moving forward…
Using some of Mark and Angel Hack’s practical thoughts pertaining to life and general improvement can help to shift perspective on hesitations and underlying beliefs about moving forward.
- I can follow my dreams someday, but right now I need to buckle down and be responsible. – Make today the first day of the rest of your new life.
- I’m in big trouble if it doesn’t work out
- That’s impossible! – It’s only impossible if you never do anything about it.
- Only a lucky few “make it.”
- I might fail. And failing is bad. – Failures are simply stepping-stones to success.
- I don’t have access to the right resources. – It’s not about having the right resources; it’s about exploiting the resources you do have access to
- I need more money saved before I can take the first step. – You don’t need more money. You need a plan
- I don’t need any help. It’s smarter to go after it alone.
- That sounds like a lot of hard work. – Success in life hinges on one key point: Finding hard work you love doing. As long as you remain true to yourself and follow your own interests, values and dreams, you can find success through passion. Perhaps most importantly, you won’t wake up a few years from now working in a career field you despise, wondering “How the heck am I going to do this for the next 30 years?”
The following are power questions to help get on track to reinvention:
- What are you displeased with right now?
- What do you feel that you are lacking?
- How many hours in a week are you willing to commit to your reinvention?
- What are your biggest fears?
Talk about desire with the client, this is the time to dream, have client begin to put it all down in writing.
- What do you love to do?
- What are you good at?
- What are you passionate about?
- What do you want and what do you need?
- What don’t you like to do?
- If you worked previously or work now what did you / do you do?
- Do you want to continue to use those skills?
- What are you willing to give up in order to make time in your life for something new?