A Research Paper created by Ian McLean
(Life Transformation Coaching, TRINIDAD and TOBAGO)
This case study examines the use of Coaching to assist an Organizational going through major changes to its business model, organization structure, values and culture, in essence a Transformation. The name of the actual company has been changed to ABC Ltd. in this paper for privacy reasons. A number of negative effects resulted from the organizational transformation such as lack of clarity of roles and responsibilities; poor communication; leadership problems; de-motivation; and high staff turnover. What follows are the recommendations made to address these issues and a plan for implementation.
In 2009 ABC Ltd.started undergoing a major re-organization throughout the company.This meant a new Organization Structure and Business Model; new ways of engaging with all stakeholders; changes in our values and our company’s culture; in effect an entire transformation of the organization. To support the change initiative, a change team was created that consisted of representatives from different sections of the company. The change team created a report based on findings from employee interviews, which brought to the surface the employees’ main concerns.
- Uncertainty of the future
- Lack of clarity of roles and responsibilities
- Poor communication
- Lack of cohesion during the transition period
- Leaders not leading – too busy ‘doing’
- Leaders not ‘qualified’ to lead – mostly technicians/ sales persons who have been promoted into Leadership positions
- Insufficient number of leaders – span of control is too high
- Everybody is ‘busy’ and overwhelmed – lack of planning, coaching, inefficient use of resources, poor prioritising ‘everything is urgent’
- Poor work/ life balance
- Stress, burnout and high staff turnover
ABC Ltd. desires an intervention that is effective and creates lasting change at all levels within the organization. These findings have led to ABC Ltd. requesting a proposal from an external organization to create a Leadership Team Building Programme that will support and strengthen the leadership capability within ABC Ltd. It has been proposed that this Leadership Team Building Programme commences with the Core Services team as this area is of greatest concern currently.
Additionally, ABC Ltd. desires to introduce a Coaching & Mentoring Programme to support, motivate and develop its greatest asset, it’s employees so that they can attain their fullest potential.
Leadership Team Building Program
The Leadership Team Building Programme will deliver the following:
- Improvement in specific leadership competencies
- Improvement in identified business results (e.g. increased customer satisfaction index, reduced staff turnover, etc)
- Clear departmental responsibilities
- Improved communication skills
- Team performance management system (e.g. effective meetings, accurate and timely data etc)
- A department results implementation plan
- A temple for future leadership development that can be rolled out to other departments