A Coaching Model Created by Ingrid Kuehtz
(Leadership Coach, GERMANY)
Many people aim to change something in their life e.g. their relationship, emotional stability, career, financial situation, health….
Many people fail in achieving their wish because they are not able to find a good approach which supports them in their change journey.
My coaching model will help in this situation as it provides a step by step way to increase self-awareness, self-decisiveness and self-directed action. More than that the model will lead clients to do self-testing, -reflection and –experience.
Self-Testing, -reflection and –experience are not fundamentally new elements in coaching, however I would like to emphasize on their high importance to implement a change in a sustainable way.
In an easy example, how do we learn a language and keep this skill over time? Only by knowing that we do not know the verbs and grammar, by deciding that we will go to some language classes and do so? Not really, we have to test what we learned, we have to reflect on these learnings and we need to practice, gain experience. After that we start with the next learning chapter and go through the cycle again until we are capable in this language. Unfortunately some are harder to learn than others e.g. German, Arabic and Chinese.
Mental and behavioral changes are most probably by far more complex than just learning a language and some are harder to achieve than others. That is why it does not just need a teacher it needs a coaching to support an individual to be successful.
One of my own believes is that everything in our world follows a certain structure, is it in natural sciences, social sciences, linguistic, philosophy, literature & poems, finance and music. Following this principle a change journey will be successful by giving it an underlying structure.
My coaching model is not only called STRUCTURE but is visualized in the famous Penrose staircase. Step-by-step and restarting if wanted or needed by the client.
The model is empowered by the possibility to ask powerful questions and by active listening moving to the next level, see some examples in the outline below.
what is the goal, what does the client want to achieve?
- how will the new situation look/feel like?
- how will you know that you have achieved your goal?
when should this be achieved?
- how urgent/important is this change for you?
- which time-steps can you describe to climb the mountain?
what is the current situation?
- how does it look like today?
- who, how, when, why gives feedback/input about it?
- in which situations is it appearing??
which options are there to make the move from A to B?
- what could be alternative ways?
- how would you rate these ways in terms of being doable?
take the decided actions and change?
- what could be ways to implement?
- which actionplan will you set up?
- how will you see that you have fulfilled on your actions?
how does the new/changed situation appears?
- who will give input/feedback about your change?
- in which situations, when will you see it yourself?
stabilize, anchor the change
- what could you apply to be reminded on your implementation?
- how will you realize that your change is stable?
was what you have achieved what you wanted to have?
- when you lean back and watch yourself in the new reality
- what do you see/feel?
- what has changed how?
the change can now be practiced and positive experiences will be made
- how will you enjoy and celebrate?
The repeating line in the song “Sun Structure” by Temples from 2014 expresses very nicely and intensively my belief as an individual and as a coach in being self-aware, taking strong decisions and actions and it has a wonderful poem structure.
Take a path of you, inside the odyssey
Ritualistic signs on the desert sea
Lead the river to the water
Take the fire from the trees