A Coaching Model Created by Gopalakrishna Gubbi
(Life & Spiritual Coach, INDIA)
S.E.R.T (Start, Engage, Review (Reset) And Take Away (Sert) Model
Coaching is the fine art of identifying real issues of the client, facilitating self commitment, meaningful engagement in their milestone achievement(s) and encouraging upliftment for their own self development during their journey of Coaching relationship.
A Coach co-creates collective and cooperative partnership to unlock the client’s potential by creating enough space for self awareness, self management and self actualization (personal & professional).
Today, we hear various models being used by the Coaches across the globe. There are studies which shows that Coaches are obsessed to use the popular models which are Coach centric than Coachee centric. Other global study indicates that hardly 20% of the Coaching intervention ends with successful action plan & execution by the client. While analyzing the reason, I am assuming that
- Is Coach enabling the client to understand and write down his problem statements
- Is Coach enabling the client to introspect & explore entire ‘self’ of the client
- Is Coach challenging real issues of the client and enabling him to prioritize
- Is Coach enabling the client to regularly track action plans, revisit the correction where required and observing accountability in execution of action plans as per time lines.
- Is Coach enabling the environment to make energized with his own action execution,
- appreciating results, and enabling him to record the milestone learnings.
- As a partner, is Coach revisiting the client to hear his repeat success ?
All these has enabled me to develop the SERT model, with the objective to bring Client as owner of the Coaching process and seeing Coach as just a facilitator in the entire engagement.
As a Coach, my objective is to enable the client question himself about the need of Coach intervention, the purpose of interaction, understand the real issues creating hurdles in his life journey, prioritize the issues based on its real impact to his short/long term life goals, steps he can take to overcome/eliminate the issues, engage fully with fullest commitment & honor his action points as per self defined milestone calendar, evaluate the impact of actions taken, reset the failures through revised actions (aligned to desired outcome set in the beginning of Coaching intervention) and lastly record the outcome of every milestone which can act as knowledge repository to re-apply the model on other prevailing issues available in his priority list.
Start, Engage, Review (Reset) And Take Away (Sert) Model
- Start – working on self prioritized issue
- Engage – self awareness, self management and self defined/determined action plans & actions
- Review milestone outcomes and reset future actions based on milestone review assessments/results
- Take Away – the experiential learning in every milestone achievements till the final results & beyond.
While client is the prima facie person to participate in the entire Coaching process, starting from putting across his issues, setting up priorities, committing to find resolution, resolve the issues with a time line and place on record his learning in the entire process for his own future references and acts.
In the tumble of everyday life, where often, urgency and fight fighting take over the mental space, having to think through & act from such reflection is indeed a challenge. Knowing this regular scenario, the client seeking coaching intervention, is requested to list down the issues related to different segments of his wheel of life.
Of these segments, the client is requested to place them on priority. For eg. Client may choose Career as priority 1, Wealth as priority 2, Family as priority 3 and so on.
As a further breakdown, to bring clarity on his priority issue & engage him to work/act on it during the coaching process, the Client is requested to write a brief on his chosen priority-1 issue :
It is said that ‘absolute clarity of prevailing issue and conviction to reach the resolution’ is the first step to reach the perceived goal in one’s life. The SERT model could push the Client in this direction and bring success to the entire coaching intervention.The answer to the above questions can enable the Coach to sign the contract to initiate the Coaching intervention from then on wards.