Research Paper By Pijush Kanti Mukherjee
(Life Coach & Leadership Coaching, INDIA)
Background of Steve Jain
Steve Jain is 34 year old Business Manager who belongs to Gujarati Jain joint family with 9 members.
He wants to earn money as of now and after 40 he wants to give back to society. His passion is to develop people and support them. He had been in ABC, LMN, NOP and STY before joining BCD as a RM.
Steve has started his career after completing his post-graduation in Business Management and worked as a front line executive
However as of now Steve does not have any clear structure for his personal and professional growth.
By nature Steve is very positive in his outlook towards life and wants to put extra effort to succeed in life.
Very positive and want to put extra effort to succeed.
Need for Coaching
Steve required input in micro and macro level in order to achieve what he wants. He has gone through many trainings in his current and past organizations. However he find many changes in him and as a result feels there could be something which he need to change the situations.
Steve wanted someone who can walk along with him, act as sounding board, an accountability partner, and help him see a different perspective of life, take life changing decision confidently and achieve leadership position.
Understanding the Need and Applying Holistic Coaching Model
The coach felt that the change Steve expects in himself in more internal than external to begin with.
The Challenges Steve stated and wanted to understand are as follows
- Creating action is a problem
- Time management is a problem
- Health is an issue
- How to create CXO Level visibility
- How to conduct CXO Level talks
- Wanted to go beyond Sales function
- Wanted to earn a specific amount of money before he turns 40
- After 40 wants to contribute to the society
The entire coaching process was divided into 12 sessions with a gap of 15 days between each session so that there is sufficient time to take actions agreed upon.
Each coaching session began with:
- opening up with greetings and past wins and celebrations if any
- with an agreement on confidentiality and trust creation and ethical behavior and being present
- client stating the issue
- client defining the outcome
- developing & exploring options by listening and questioning and communicating directly
- developing new insights by reframing and challenging by creating awareness
- constantly exploring emotions and being curious for underlying beliefs behind the stated issue
- client summarizing insights
- client summarizing the action plans
- agreeing on follow up if required and being accountable for the agreed plans of action
The coaching model applied in this case is HOLISTIC Coaching Model.
Holistic coaching model applied to Steve Jain’s case is based on the GROW Model and it also takes a Holistic view of a human being’s life.
- GROW Model-HOLISTIC Model
- Goals- Holistic goals and Outcome Desired
- Reality-Learn You and Importance of Values
- Options-Search for Solutions and Transactional & Transformational change
- Wrap up-Implementation of Actionable and Co achieve & celebrate