By ICA Coach Jonathan Hermida
This “innocent” word used to spark a physiological response in me that reminded me of the feeling I would get when the Catholic all-boys high school I attended would require us to complete 100 community service hours each year.
“Ugh, do I really have to? I’ll help people, but like, let me do it how I want to.”
Just like niching, I eventually got around to doing it, but not before engaging in a futile inner battle. And just like niching, once I did, I realized how rewarding it ultimately is.
Now that I’ve made it across the tumultuous river of resistance I can say with confidence, and from experience that niching is an essential component of a successful coaching practice.
Here are 4 ways niching transformed my coaching practice and gave me the confidence and clarity to thrive.
- Niching helped me have a clear and targeted focus to create stronger programs and a more effective marketing strategy.
- When I first started coaching over three years ago, I wanted to serve EVERYONE. I wanted to help men, women, children and the entire animal kingdom discover who they truly are, what their ultimate purpose is and how to create the extraordinary life they desire. The problem with that approach was that people outside of the world of coaching and self-development don’t really think or speak like that. “You want me to figure out my purpose? I can barely figure out my wife,” was the general sentiment I received. “Which is precisely why coaching can change your life(!!)”, I always thought. That general, watered down, this is for everyone language never allowed me to differentiate myself. All it did was make me sound like all the other coaches out there. Once I finally niched UP to focusing solely on “The Awakening Man,” my ideal customer avatar, I started seeing impressive results……
- Niching immediately brought me dozens of ideal clients.
- Within a week I started receiving messages and having deep conversations with the exact person I wanted to serve: spiritually aware (or becoming aware), socially conscious, heart-centered and purpose driven men; men who really wanted to make a difference in their lives and in the world.
- Niching brought 500% more referrals my way
- Referrals literally started pouring in. It was amazing. I had husbands being referred by their wives; boyfriends being referred by their girlfriends or partners; sons being referred to by their mothers; strangers being referred to by their friends, and current clients referring me future clients. What’s even more incredible is I also started attracting people out in the world. I had one guy approach me in the gym simply to say hi and after a brief conversation with him, I was meeting up for coffee and engaging in a deep coaching conversation that eventually led him to sign up for one-on-one coaching AND for my upcoming men’s retreat.
- Niching became the Trojan Horse that is, ironically, allowing my message to reach more people than I ever could before.
- I’ve been invited on a podcast, become a regular contributor for the “Good Men Project” and have so many more opportunities to share my message in front of a much wider audience than I ever could before.
It’s honestly blown me away. And all because I finally “caved” and had the courage to take my focus away from my money maker (women made up 75% of my client base at the time) to focus on a group that I represented and felt deeply passionate about serving.
I know how difficult it can be to niche. The struggle many of us face is that we have a big heart and don’t want to leave anyone behind. We want to help everyone, which is beautiful. But take it from me: when you finally find the group of people you’re meant to serve and you really hone in on what their major challenges are and what they most desire you, and speak their language rather than yours, you will be in a better position to help more people than you would otherwise. You’ll also be more confident, clear, effective and successful. What more can we ask for?
Jonathan Hermida is a men’s transformational coach, writer and retreat architect dedicated to creating powerful and transformative spaces for men looking to make a difference in their lives and in the world. Whether it’s through his tailor made one-on-one coaching programs, collaborative group coaching or life-changing adventure experiences, Jonathan is committed to helping men live deeply connected, powerful and purposeful lives.